Friday, July 23, 2010

Change of Plans?

I began to tell the doctor that I wanted to lose as much weight as possible within the year and then I wanted the LAP-BAND® to keep it off. He asked me if I was open for suggestions. When someone asks you if you’re “open to suggestions” that usually means they want to change your mind about what you want. I looked at my husband and said, “I guess, what are you thinking”? He said, “It looks like your portions are under control and that you’re doing a great job sticking the pre-op diet, the LAP-BAND® will only teach you what you’re already learning, portion control. He went on to say with your PCOS, you will have to work out every day and stay very strict on your eating the rest of your life to keep any of the weight off, as well as get the rest of it off. I had no clue where he was going with any of this until finally he said, “However if we do another procedure called the Gastric Sleeve, it will not only get the weight off, it will cure your PCOS”, and he looks at my husband and says “and if you want a baby, you could probably have one.” I would love to say that I didn’t have to think about it at all and said yes right away but I didn’t. Before I could really say anything else, he proceeded to say, “by the way the surgeon wants to meet with you today as well”. Normally you don’t get to meet with the surgeon until you hit your weight loss goal, Not only was I never given a goal weight, but this was still my first appointment and I’m only 4 weeks into my 1 years journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment